I’m going to start writing more about our home renovation projects – they are taking up so much of our spare time and energy at the moment. MrS and I moved into our house 2 months before LS’s arrival having thankfully managed to sell our 2 “single life” flats in a rather depressed market. I don’t think that this house is our “forever home” (forever is, hopefully, a very long time!) but I think it’s the house where we will be for at least the next ten years and quite possibly longer.
Despite my love of period features (I think it came down to those or a driveway!) we have a 1960s very boxy modern house. The rooms have quite rectangular proportions which poses some challenges with furniture placement. It’s been subject to few “could’ve-been-done-better improvements” that we are slowly improving and decorating throughout to our taste. Eventually we will renovate the bathrooms and kitchen which will involve knocking out walls and starting again from scratch so these things will have to wait a while. The main jobs we’ve done over the past 2 years are:
- Quickly painting the bathrooms, kitchen / diner, our bedroom and LS’s nursery before she arrived.
- Stripped wallpaper and false ceiling in the hallway / stairs / landing area then plastered and painted.
- Re-wired – a not very fun way to spend a lot of money for no aesthetic return! But very necessary. We had this done when LS was only 2 weeks old.
- The rewiring job meant the tatty laminate upstairs had to come up so we replaced it with carpet.
- Replaced the rotten French door frame in the dining area was rotten so we replaced this and the doors with bifold doors.
The old integral garage had previously been converted into a new entrance hall (moving the front door from the side of the house) and study but we wanted to improve the way this had been done. We’ve recently had the walls re-insulated, plastered new radiators and new flooring too. The flooring has carried through to the lounge and middle (original) hallway and those rooms have had new radiators too. This work involved burying the exposed radiators pipes and channelling into the concrete floor and an avalanche of dust!
We are doing the decorating ourselves and making slow progress fitting this around family life – hopefully I will have more to share soon.