If you have a toddler like mine – who likes to join her sister colouring in but is also going through the destructive phase – then you probably have a growing pile of broken crayons (the ones that haven’t been eaten). I’ve seen a lot of tutorials over the years showing how to melt down the bits of crayons to form new ones and that seemed like a great addition to the low cost / craft based advent thing I’m doing with the girls.
But, does it work? I’ve had a couple of goes now and now have 6 cute multicoloured Christmas crayons to pop into an advent bag! Here’s how I did it:
1 -Pre-heat your oven to 190 degrees C.
2 – Chop the crayon bits down as small as possible. To be honest, I think I could have done with them being slightly smaller than in my photo, then I would have got more crayon in the mould.
3 – Add the chopped crayons to the mould – make sure that you have a heat proof one!* I used a Christmas chocolate making mould that is happy up to 200 degrees C. Star shapes would be good too and not just for Christmas. Avoid moulds with very thin parts as the crayon would break easily when used. Seren helped with this bit and we decided on multi-coloured crayons. I’ve seen others use just one colour or tone or you could go with Christmas colours only.
4 – Place in the oven on a baking tray for 7 ish minutes (check after 5 minutes) until the crayons are melted. You might want to open a window too as this might all smell a bit.
5 – When all the crayon wax has melted, take out of the oven and leave to cool. Then, gently, gently ease the crayons out of the mould. I pulled back the edges of the mould first then gently pressed them upwards from the bottom. Some of the designs were quite robust but a couple of them broke when I was taking them out. So, I put them straight back in the oven to melt again.
6 – You’re all done and ready to colour in! I’ve popped mine into a bag for the girls to open later on in December.
* I did learn this the hard way – total Pinterest fail! I used a Christmas silicone ice cube tray the first time, assuming that it was heat proof. It most definitely was not, see below!
Oh dear! Let’s hope the rest of our Christmas crafting adventures are more successful.
This post was first published in December 2015.